1.21.2013

Tuesday 01.22.13

Cindy K. says, "CrossFit. Anytime. Anyplace."
Reminder:
We're collecting all your non-Paleo non-perishables through 02/01.
All items will be donated to the local food pantry.

Next Wed., Jan. 30 and Thurs., Jan. 31

Sunday, March 17
1st Annual MuscaVegas St. Paddy's Day Throw-down
30 2-person teams compete for cash prizes!
WCFM members have first crack at registration through 02/15.
General public registration begins 02/15.
Get a partner and get ready to go for GOLD. 
----
 What to expect when you go Paleo Eat Clean
The first time I did a Whole30 was February 2011. Prior to that, I lived off bagels, cream cheese, crackers, cheese, cereal, milk (up to a gallon per week, for just ME), pizza, macaroni and cheese, chocolate and I don't even know what else. Did I mention cheese? I think peas might have made it in there on occasion, but fruits and vegetables were hardly a mainstay of my daily diet. I should have kept a food journal leading up to the challenge, but I might only have been too dismayed by what I saw to even start a Whole30. The challenge would have seemed insurmountable in the face of how "off the wagon" I was. My goal was cleaning up my nutrition and not weight loss.

The first couple of days of the Whole30 I said to myself, "Yeah! I GOT this!" Then, the withdrawal set in. Needless to say, the next 10 days of my first Whole30 were VERY difficult. Despite cooking up better meals than ever before (i.e., ACTUAL balanced meals consisting of more than a bowl of cereal or a bagel with cream cheese) I often felt hungry, tired, and GRUMPY. Headaches were pretty common, as were severe cravings for bread and cheese. Indeed I had a strong desire to move to France and quit the challenge. I stuck it out, though, and by the end of the 3rd week I felt like I had a handle on things. I found some go-to snacks (e.g., almonds, baby carrots, fruit, Lara Bars) and some resources I really liked for meal ideas. I still had an occasional craving for chocolate (because really it is rare the woman that does not), but the rules of the challenge made choosing what to eat easier. Plus, I noticed that I ached less after workouts, I had more continuous energy throughout the day, and I slept like a rock at night. I woke up feeling ready to go (once I had my black coffee).

As the end of the challenge approached, I felt nervous about how I would ease out of the strict rules of the Whole30. Plus, what would happen if I ate dairy or grains? Would I suddenly realize my body was sensitive to these things? Would I go into systemic shock if I ate them? Fortunately, that was not the case, but dairy and grains certainly make me feel bloated and sluggish. Clearly, they are not foods for optimal well-being. Additionally, coming off that first challenge, I forever changed the way I shopped and prepared food. I definitely cleaned out a lot of bad habits and raised my level of food knowledge. I read labels all the time now. I consciously make a choice when I eat less than healthy foods. I'm not just an automaton shoving food in my mouth because it's easy or convenient because I now know better.

Making it through the discomfort of the first 10-12 days of the Whole30 is the most difficult part of the challenge; however, it is NOT the most difficult thing you will ever do in your life. Struggle through it and learn something from it. Your body is telling you something. It's mostly telling you that you ate a lot of crap and it wants it back. To paraphrase the late Whitney Houston (God rest her beautiful soul), crap "is whack" and you don't need that. The worst that happens: you discover new, healthy habits and you learn something new about your food, where it comes from, and how it impacts your functionality and well-being.

WOD
Strength:
20 consecutive reps of front squat at 60% 1 RM*
*As with the back squat, every Tuesday and Friday over the next month or so, we will be doing front squat.
--
Weighted Ring Dip & Situp Pyramid
1-2-3-4-5-6-4-3-2-1 weighted ring dips
Multiply dip reps by 3 to get situp reps
--
10 --> 1 push press (135/95)
1 --> 10 burpees

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Crossfit Store
Balanced Bites Nutrition Guide Widget
CrossFit Journal: The Performance-Based Lifestyle Resource
103 Ford Ave., Suite 1 | Muscatine, IA | 52761
Warrior CrossFit Muscatine is a Garberling LLC enterprise.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP