1.28.2013

Tuesday 01.29.13

Brian checks for secrets in the ceiling
Our 30-day Paleo Challenge starts FRIDAY! Are you ready??
Download/copy/print or pick up a scoresheet today.

Help I'll be traveling while "on Paleo"!! How do I stay strict and eat cleanly?

This is one post I had to really research because I will be island-hopping in the Caribbean with NOAA for a week during the first half of our 30-day Paleo Challenge.  I'm in for a tough road because I really cannot predict where or when I will eat. I'm on a busy schedule and I won't be in charge of my transportation. I am going to have to be very prepared with Paleo-friendly foods in my luggage and on my person at all times. So, how will I (and you) navigate strict Paleo while away from our re-vamped Hy-Vee health food section and personal kitchens? Here's where I am starting:

Numero Uno: Know the rules, which will help you make smart choices.

Numero Dos: Pack supplies for the transit portions of the trip (e.g., planes, trains, automobiles)!
  • Nuts. 
  • Paleo trail mix (my fave: unsweetened coconut flakes, almonds, and raisins). 
  • Jerky (sugar free, yo). 
  • Lara Bars. 
  • Steve's Paleo Kits. 
  • A refillable water bottle. 
  • Hardy fruits (e.g., oranges, apples).
Numero Tres: Pick the grocery store over the restaurants.
If you're lucky and will be in one spot for a while, or you have your own transportation, then the grocery store can work for you while you're traveling. Most hotel/motel rooms have at least a mini-fridge and a microwave. Try to plan ahead and book a room with these features, if not a whole mini-kitchen (stovetop and oven, as well as fridge and microwave). At the very least, you can pick up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and a few packages of frozen veggies that you can steam in the bag in the microwave. Make sure you pick up some utensils while you're at the store, too.

Numero Quatro: Last resort. SERIOUSLY - LAST RESORT. Make sure you've exhausted steps 1-3 before heading here: Restaurant navigation.
  • Salads, of course, with just oil and vinegar as dressing. Or no dressing (most restaurant dressings have sugar in them). Remember to skip the cheese and croutons, too.
  • Steamed veggies as a side to your steak/fish/shrimp/grilled chicken instead of french-fried crap. Mind you, the meat/seafood is probably-most-definitely seared/broiled/grilled with some sort of non-Paleo oil; however, you're in a tight spot, so you'll just have to ignore that fact.
  • Fajitas without the tortillas or cheese or beans.
  • Burgers without the bun and substitute the sides with steamed veggies or fruit salad.
  • Avoid all restaurant guacamole as most of it is made with sour cream or dairy ingredients, not to mention the added preservatives to keep it from browning.
  • Most condiments have sugar in them, including ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, and salad dressing (as mentioned above). Some restaurants have the hot sauce bottle on the table, so you can check the ingredient list for any non-Paleo substances.
  • DRINKS: unsweetened iced tea, water with lemon, club soda with lime
I'll be sharing on Facebook and Twitter my Paleo travel experiences while I am away to 1) keep me honest (hee!), and 2) help you make great choices while you're on the road, in the air, or on the cruise ship! Enjoy your travels and share your Paleo goodness!

WOD
Strength:
20 consecutive front squats @ 60% 1 RM (+ 5 lbs if your last attempt was successful)
--
10 Rounds
5 deadlift (245/185)
5 HSPUs

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Crossfit Store
Balanced Bites Nutrition Guide Widget
CrossFit Journal: The Performance-Based Lifestyle Resource
103 Ford Ave., Suite 1 | Muscatine, IA | 52761
Warrior CrossFit Muscatine is a Garberling LLC enterprise.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP