1.06.2015

Wednesday 01.06.15

Our January Warrior of the Month

Meet January's Warrior of the Month
Paige "Paleo Queen" Bales

1. Describe your athletic background.
I do not have an athletic background unless cleaning house counts---I am very good at that when the mood strikes! Once I tried softball (back in Jr High School), but I was not very good and was only allowed to play in right field...for whatever reason the center fielder kept coming over to “my” field when the ball came my way. I was one of those kids who was always picked last for teams during gym class...My skills were elsewhere (home economics...do they even have those classes anymore?).

2. Why did you start CrossFit?
The summer of 2010 we had a family picture taken...that is when I realized how “enhanced” my figure was. Time to get in shape. I joined Curves and that worked for a year, then I joined the Y for a year. At that point I was stuck. I was no longer losing any weight, and I found what I was doing VERY DULL and was generally unmotivated to even go. Ashley Schmieg had been telling me how much I’d LOVE Crossfit and that I should try it. She kept after me the whole year I was at the Y. I was so scared. Trying something that extreme terrified me. So I enlisted my niece. Yep, me, a full grown woman, got a young High School student who shows no fear to accompany me so I wouldn’t have to figure out this foreign scary world all alone. She lasted about 4 months, but that was enough for me to have to courage to continue. That was 2 years ago and I’ve never considered stopping...well...maybe I have several times during the WOD’s, but never once when they were over!

3. Favorite exercise? 
I LOVE squat cleans. They just work for me and that makes me feel good. So many things are a struggle that doing something well encourages me.

4. Least favorite?
Wall balls...I tend to save those for last hoping time will run out so I won’t have to do many of them.

5. What do you want to listen to on Pandora when you WOD?
I don’t care much what we listen to...except when stuff comes on that I don’t really like (and that is just usually a song here and there).

6. Do you have any advice for newbies?
It’s all about you and what you want out of this. Keep the ultimate goal in front of you---especially when you think you are about to expire. Yes, you are sore, but are you stronger today than you were yesterday? Are you able to move in ways that you used to find difficult? Do you like the way you feel---aside from the soreness as a result of working muscles you didn’t realize you had? You can do anything you put your mind to, but I must say that more times than not I REALLY need the encouragement of our coaches cheering me on. They are a key piece to success in the box. Not coming from an athletic background I never realized the strength that can be gained from a massive support team all around you. I have never heard anything but positive words from our CF Family...it makes the trip to the box so much easier!!

Bonus answers:
Least favorite words: “Quick Breaks” & “It’s supposed to be hard”
Favorite words: “You got this” “Good job” “you are over half way” “almost done”
Favorite moment: The first time I ran a mile. Both Cindy and Rachel waited for me so they could cheer me on to the finish. They had to wait a bit because I was rather slow, but the fact they did that really meant a great deal to me. I love my CF Family!!

WOD
Front squat: Load bar at weight above your 1 RM. Lift off rack and hold for 15 seconds. 
Do this twice.
--
4 Rounds
4 pause squats (3 seconds down, 1 second pause at bottom @ 75% 1RM)
--
10 min AMRAP
5 shoulder-to-overhead (115/75)
10 deadlift (115/75)
15 box jumps/step ups (24"/20")

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Crossfit Store
Balanced Bites Nutrition Guide Widget
CrossFit Journal: The Performance-Based Lifestyle Resource
103 Ford Ave., Suite 1 | Muscatine, IA | 52761
Warrior CrossFit Muscatine is a Garberling LLC enterprise.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP