4.12.2016

Wednesday 04.13.16

From the blog archives, Friday 03.30.12:

During WODs, we all think about the clock ticking. We can't help it. And when we're surrounded by other people, we can't help but want to be done more quickly or with more rounds than SOMEONE. Coming in last for the day is something I'm well-versed in, so it's not such a big deal (any more). And it's not usually a big deal when I know I put in my best for that day and I made each rep count with full range of motion. During a WOD, my mental soundtrack usually includes me repeating my current rep number in my head like a mantra as I move all the way through a movement (especially a burpee). Twelve... twelve... twelve... breathe... thirteen... thirteen... thirteen. 

That's my method, but I've seen others. Maybe you always grab a piece of chalk, or you too drone out a mantra as you keep count, or maybe you watch your neighbor and assume you're moving about the same speed. Do you round down your reps when you lose count, or do you say "I'm pretty sure that was about 50 reps" and move on to the next exercise or round? Do you aim for full depth on each and every squat, despite it taking longer? Do you aim for your chin over the bar on each pullup? Do you dock yourself a rep when you judge that you did not complete the full range of motion for that rep? Or do you say: "Good enough. I was close enough. I got high/low enough." 

I believe that how I train is how I race. Training is practice. Whether I'm in the gym training to be more functional in the race of every day life, or whether I'm training to be more durable in a long-distance run, the integrity of my training will indicate the integrity of my race. If I practice sloppy movement, then I see sloppy results. My half-marathon of February 2011 was proof of this fact. My training was half-assed, and I saw my worst finish time EVER. However, when I practice quality, full range-of-motion movement, I see quality results. My lifts go up in weight, my endurance builds, my movements progress in difficulty, and every day life becomes easier.

So I wonder if increased range-of-motion (e.g., deep, ass-to-grass squats) indicates an increase in overall functionality? Is an increase in functionality therefore an indicator of increased overall fitness? Is increased overall fitness one of the main motivators for working out? If yes, then would limited range of motion (that is NOT caused by injury or lack of stretching/self-care), be an indicator of limited functionality, and therefore limited fitness? And if we limit our fitness by not practicing full range-of-motion and adequate stretching/self-care, then how does this affect our every day functionality? How does this affect our sport-specific functionality? Does cheating our reps in WODs result in cheating our overall fitness? Can you spot the difference between a good rep and a "No Rep"? Does the difference matter? What do you think? 

WOD
15 Rounds
1 below-the-knee hang snatch
Hollow body
--
18 min Alt mins:
1 squat clean AHAP
10 burpee Ctb or 4 burpee muscle ups

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Crossfit Store
Balanced Bites Nutrition Guide Widget
CrossFit Journal: The Performance-Based Lifestyle Resource
103 Ford Ave., Suite 1 | Muscatine, IA | 52761
Warrior CrossFit Muscatine is a Garberling LLC enterprise.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP