8.03.2014

Monday 08.04.14

This is seriously the only photo of Tyler in action that I could find
RE: PALEO SCORE SHEETS
PLEASE DO NOT MAKE EDITS TO ANY OF THE SPREADSHEETS.
Go to File, then Make a Copy to SAVE YOUR OWN COPY OF THE SCORE SHEET.
--
We have a veritable SHIT TON of events coming up this fall.
--
Meet our August Warrior of the Month
Tyler Sulzberger

Why did you start CrossFitting? 
I was always athletic in high school, but college and the ensuing years behind a desk made me realize that physical fitness doesn’t happen without the “physical” part. I went through phases of trying to get myself back into shape using gym memberships, P90X, Insanity, etc., but I would eventually fade out of it and backslide. So I was approaching another one of those phases and began exploring my options. I had heard mention of this “CrossFit” gym in town and asked a close and respected cage-fighting Marine friend o’ mine if he knew anything about it. His response: “It’s the real deal. It will take you back to wrestling practice when you felt like you were going to throw up.” That’s all it took. (Newbies, don’t worry, the feeling is short-lived and quickly superseded by a great feeling of accomplishment!)

Favorite Exercise?
Probably hand-stand push-ups. I’m really starting to like thrusters though, too. Which is weird because I’m pretty sure I hated them a month ago.

Least Favorite? 
Running. Or rowing. Or burpees. Or maybe anything that’s pretty much straight cardio. Hate it.

Athletic goals in the next year (CrossFit or otherwise)?
Reclaim my push-up record. (I’m coming for you, “other Tyler.”) Seriously though, as much as I don’t want to, I need to chase my cardio weakness. How about a 7:00 mile? (Did I mention that I hate running?)

Advice for people new to CrossFit? 
1. "Tada gun iarracht.” ("Nothing without effort." Don’t worry, I had to look it up, too) Give it at least a month. We’re all in it together and we know how you feel. Soon you’ll start to long for that post-WOD sense of accomplishment. And after a month I guarantee you’ll notice increased mobility, and that’s what it’s all about. Also, after pushing through a month’s worth of WODs next to some of the same people, I bet you’ll have some new friends. Which is good if you don’t want to annoy your other friends and family with CrossFit talk. But you’ll figure that out soon enough.

2. Create a recovery plan or a modified plan for time off from the box. If you experience an injury or life just gets busy and you’re looking to take a break from the box, consider modifying your workout instead. Maybe you only have 15-30 minutes to kill instead of an hour – try to make up a mini-WOD and do that instead. Row, air squats, pushups, situps...done. I’ve had to take time off before, and other “busy-ness” can creep into that old workout time and make two weeks turn into four before you know it. If you’re recovering from an injury, talk to a coach and I bet they’ll offer a modified workout. If you MUST take time off, decide on a “return-to-WOD” date and put it on your calendar. Set that goal and chase it!

Favorite workout music? 
Swedish House Mafia

WOD
4 Rounds 
10 close grip bench
--
7 min row
Max distance in meters
--
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 
chest-to-bar pullups
push jerk (155/105) 
*7 min cap; no rack for jerks

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Crossfit Store
Balanced Bites Nutrition Guide Widget
CrossFit Journal: The Performance-Based Lifestyle Resource
103 Ford Ave., Suite 1 | Muscatine, IA | 52761
Warrior CrossFit Muscatine is a Garberling LLC enterprise.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP